Tuesday, March 20, 2012

John Drinkwater

THE TRAVELLER

When March was master of furrow and fold,
And the skies kept cloudy festival,
And the daffodil pods were tipped with gold
And a passion was in the plover's call,
A spare old man went hobbling by
With a broken pipe and a tapping stick,
And he mumbled ' Blossom before I die,
Be quick, you little brown buds, be quick.

'I've weathered the world for a count of years
Good old years of shining fire
And death and the devil bring no fears,
And I've fed the flame of my last desire;
I'm ready to go, but I'd pass the gate
On the edge of the world with an old heart sick
If I missed the blossoms. I may not wait
The gate is open be quick, be quick.'


Джон Дринкуотер
ПУТНИК

Когда март был хозяином гряд и борозд,
а в небе шло празднество облаков,
со страстью взывали ржанка и дрозд,
золотились бутоны жонкилей легко.
Сжав трубку зубами и палку рукой,
мимо старик прохромал по двору,
бормоча: "Моя смерть уже недалеко,
раскрывайтесь быстрее, я скоро умру.

Я неплохо прожил немало лет,
добрый век полыхающего огня,
но угас мой пыл и желаний нет,
ни черт, ни смерть не страшат меня;
Я готов уйти, только невмоготу
мне входить в ворота за краем морей
и земель, если вас не увижу в цвету.
Ворота раскрыты, скорей, скорей.

(Перевод с английского: Г.-Д. Зингер)

No comments: