Saturday, May 26, 2012

Amy Levy \ Эми Леви

The Old House

In through the porch and up the silent stair;
Little is changed, I know so well the ways;--
Here, the dead came to meet me; it was there
The dream was dreamed in unforgotten days.

But who is this that hurries on before,
A flitting shade the brooding shades among?--
She turned,--I saw her face,--O God, it wore
The face I used to wear when I was young!

I thought my spirit and my heart were tamed
To deadness; dead the pangs that agonise.
The old grief springs to choke me,--I am shamed
Before that little ghost with eager eyes.

O turn away, let her not see, not know!
How should she bear it, how should understand?
O hasten down the stairway, haste and go,
And leave her dreaming in the silent land.



СТАРЫЙ ДОМ

Через крыльцо, вверх по немым ступеням
Здесь все без перемен, я помню, как пройти, -
Умерших здесь меня встречали тени
И здесь мечтали мы о будущем пути.

Но кто там впереди колеблется иною
Задумчивою тенью средь теней? -
Вот повернулась, - Боже! предо мною
Мое лицо тех незабвенных дней!

Я думала, что мертвенность терзаний
И дух, и сердце приучила стыть.
Но перед призраком с пытливыми глазами
Дрожу, и старой муки душит стыд.

О, отвернись! Пускай не ведает, не видит!
Как выдержит она и сможет ли понять?
Скорее вниз спустись, исчезни, не обидев,
В стране молчания оставь ее мечтать.

Перевод с английского: Гали-Дана Зингер

No comments: